Your system is 'over-performing' if your site is performing above the normal range. In other words measured solar production is greater than expected solar production.
Some systems will be slightly above or slightly below 100%, even when everything is operating ideally. This is due to small variations in the system design and components, which can differ slightly from manufacturer’s specifications and from model assumptions as well as day to day variations in the accuracy of weather data.
Is your over-performance small or large?
Go to your performance tab on the dashboard to see the below system performance graph.
> A small over-performance sits in the top, light, grey band. Your system was well designed and performs slightly better than we expect.
> A large over-performance sits in the top, dark, grey band. Something is probably wrong in the information regarding your solar system.
Possible small over-performance causes include:
- The location is a long way from the nearest weather station. The ambient temperature and cooling from the wind could have a significant impact at that location.
- The reflected light from surroundings could be particularly good for the location.
- If the panels are free from dust and debris, the soiling level may not be as bad as we assume in our calculations.
- The panels have an upper power tolerance, so may perform a few % better straight out of the factory.
- The wiring losses may be lower then we assume depending of the size of the wiring.
Possible large over-performance causes include:
- A combination of small over-performance factors
- Incorrect inverter or modules specifications
- Incorrect number of modules or strings or sub-arrays
- Incorrect array tilt or orientation
- Incorrect system location
- Solar tracking systems
> Unless your system specifications are incorrect an over-performance generally means you have an above average system.
> If you have received an over-performance email from us, and if you have your system details, you can update the details on the Dashboard using the instructions provided here. Alternatively, reply to your over-performance email and we'll estimate your system details to the best of our knowledge to provide you more accurate performance values.
Just Started with Solar Analytics Monitoring?
Often in the first weeks after monitoring begins, systems can appear to be underperforming, while our algorithms learn about your system from the measured data. The performance should be more accurate and reliable after about two weeks.